It has been a couple of weeks since the last update; we received everything we needed to finish the valve adjustment and timing belt.
I have to say, I am amazed by how detailed and precise this guy is, most shops adjust the valves to an accepted setting but he had to get to the precise specs as per Ducati. You could ask the girl, she was there for a while helping and watching… and probably bored.
Once the engine was ready, we got going on the electrical. It was not difficult to get everything plugged in and ready to give the starter a shot; to be honest I was pretty hesitant, what if the bike goes up in flames!! We installed the tank, put gas in it and gave it a go.
It STARTS!!! HOLLY CRAP IT STARTED!! Then we realized it was running on one cylinder GRRR
After lots of trouble shooting, we came to the conclusion it was the ECU; “ah! Crap let’s find one I guess”. Shout out to Gotham Cycles for hooking us up with one!
So we received the new ECU, installed on the bike and started praying “please oh infinite universe, please get this thing to run!” aaaaaand nope, still the same. One of the injector showers was not working but the injectors were ok.
We decided to splice open the whole harness and start following wires. Every time we tried to start the bike, Keith would try to catch the great start (because we were so sure it would work this time) on video but we always ended up in disappointment. At that point I was ready to give up, put it together and park it in the corner for a few months.
After a while we, realized that maybe the TPS needed to be reset. The ECU was not communicating to my Tuneboy software so we had to do it manually; the hopes were so low that we just clicked the started without any hope… and so the least climatic start was the ONE!!! The 998 is officially running!!