Day 2 of the build and I ran into my first major hurdle. I had inventoried the parts bins and separate the usable parts. There were a lot of unrecognizable and rusted out parts. Rust was expected on parts and fittings from 1974. However, I also found a significant quantity of sand in some of the bags.
To continue my investigation of the source of sand, I began to tear down the engine. As soon as I had the valve cover off, my suspicions were confirmed. Hurricane Sandy. Remember, I purchased this pile of bike on the south shore of Long Island. As I pulled the cylinder head off, sand and water began to pour out. Cylinder 1 was packed with sand and the pistons were seized. I removed the side covers and oil pump cover, releasing even more water and sand. Its no wonder the engine was suspiciously heavy when we picked it up. I may be able to salvage the lower cases, transmission, and crank for a later engine build but the rest is toast!
Luckily I found a used motor with good compression in Ohio...